On 02/22/2017 10:08 PM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
> Yuck, if I don't ever have to mill that crap again it will be too soon.
> Started out dry and trying to mill .12 deep per pass. 1st try (1" long ramp
> in) tool ramped in to full depth nicely and then promptly snapped, 400imp
> @18krpm is too fast.  150imp went about 2 inches, gumming up badly.  Half a
> dozen bits later, having some success with a .06" cut depth @120imp and
> soaking it with WD-40.

18000 RPM might be too fast for a 1/4" tool, but then I read
this book about high speed machining where they were running
75 HP on a 1/2" end mill at 80,000 RPM, and removing 640 cu
in of aluminum per minute.

But, of course, this particular aluminum may just be pure
trouble. 2024 and 6061 seem to machine really well.  Are you
climb milling? That is really important to prevent the tool
from rubbing before it breaks the surface.  Climb milling is
with the edge of the cutter striking the uncut surface, so
the cutting edge of the tool is moving in the same direction
as the material moving past.

Jon