On 03/02/17 10:31, Jon Elson wrote:
> ---snip---
> I use a 100 "pulse" MPG, and the encoder counter counts all
> transitions, and have no problem with jitter, and can count
> off the detent clicks by feel.  There isn't much jitter on a
> 100 pulse/rev encoder, especially with the detent.
> I also have a button that has to be held to enable jogging,
> so there will be no jitter (or movement at all) when that
> button is not being pressed.  That saves me from accidents
> when I bump the MPG dial.
ah, the deadman switch

on the back of Heidenhain hand controls
there is a bump covered by soft rubber
you hold the unit with fingers wrapped around it to activate the hand wheel
or
since the units have strong magnets,
just slap the hand control onto a nearby ferrous surface and use it

might be handy design idea

also, Heidenhain had no detent on early units
so users were taught to hold them
with some finger tips cradling rear (enable)
and one finger lightly rubbing on the wheel (hack for no 'detent')

else a nervous operator would have trouble doing manual touch offs (
they used voltage drop )

the trouble was, the system would detect a touch and disable the
'forward' direction
BUT the nervoue operator was faster than the sensing,
so the direction disabled was wrong due to his jittery wheel motion

the finger damper was a stupid 'solution' but it worked

> Jon
regards
tomp