On Thursday 02 March 2017 14:02:30 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 02 March 2017 13:53:32 Kurt Jacobson wrote:
> > There should be a flat rubber gasket with holes for the three
> > mounting studs. If not I guess it would be a good idea to use some
> > sort of "goop" to seal the interface and keep coolent from getting
> > to the encoder.
> >
> > Kurt Jacobson
> > 505-303-1933
> > Sent from Mobile
>
> Goop, Go2, same stuff I think, but Go2 comes in a much handier to use
> container.  I'll do that to mine when I mount them.  Thanks Kurt.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

It turns out that black bit that looks like a skirt on the rear housing
pan, is in fact a separate piece, a soft plastic like gasket, so I
didn't add any goop.

But, I have the nuts tightened on the switches, and the panel all wired
up, and power on the jog wheels, losing 11 millivolts in each conductor
on the trip out over 14' of stranded cat5 wire. The noise is just at
borderline when the motors are powered up.

These encoders aren't active drive to whichever rail they are headed for
on the scope and only make 3.75 volts for a logic one, and that impinges
of the upper noise margin some.

I don't have wire conductors enough to make up a differential receiver,
so I'm inclined to run them past a small capacitor hooked to ground to
absorb some of the noise right at the 7i90's GPIO input.

And even bigger question is that there is a huge spike on the leading
edge of the uprising edge, and it switches from the A channel to the B
channel depending on which direction I am cranking the dial. Obviously
there is a need for additional bypassing of the power rails right at the
wheels +- terminals or very close. I haven't made any connections to the
7i90 yet as the peak voltage of these spikes is about 6.75 volts.

Peter C. W.; would a 1n914 type diode (I have at least 50 of those, not
all tested and good, be fast enough if installed to clamp the data lines
at 1 vbe, about 5.75 volts, well above above the 5.04 volt 7i90 supply
rail?  Or is allowing about 5.75 volts at a GPIO input playing with
fire?  Or do I need to locate a 4 pack of some 4 volt zeners?  More
wasted time as I know the shack doesn't have any such critters.

Thanks all.