I set up my 5x8 machine with the X in the long direction.  It is loaded
from the narrow side.  Originally the terminal was on a table parallel
to the long X axis with the router behind the monitor. That seems
correct to me, VCarve CAD/CAM will always put the X-axis horizontal, the
long side of your CAD/CAM monitor, and origin in the lower right to keep
all XY coords positive is also the most natural thing.

Somewhere along the way the keyboard and monitor were moved to the right
of the narrow side, putting the monitor parallel with the Y axis.
Someone complained this was wrong.

For the most part, everything's done with an MPG, but if you do fall
back to the arrow keys, "UP" sends the spindle to the left.  And the
screen's orientation is off by 90 deg.  I never even thought about it.

LinuxCNC's toolpath view IS already square.  No case for saying the
monitor would need to physically be mounted in a landscape orientation
to match the bed length.  Which is good because rotating whole graphical
front end sounds complicated.  Can we tell it to just orient the preview
window XY so X+=up, Y+=left, and origin in in the lower right by
default?  How would I do that?

I googled changing the key mappings so "up arrow"  means X+ and it was
"you just need to change axis.py", but then "hey ok but that's this huge
program to edit".  Is that currently the only way to do it or you just
need to change something in the .ini file now or what?

Danny