On 28.03.17 15:48, andy pugh wrote:
> I find myself astonished that I don't have a 3D printer.
> I am thinking of buying one.
> Longer-term I think I will end up making a large-format delta pritner,
> so the one I buy will be more ot a toe-dipping exercise, and I am
> looking at:
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182454763977
> Any thoughts?

Not having been motivated to dip my toe yet, due mostly to reports of
mediocre performance, my prime observation of that offering is that it
would be useless here, due to: "Supported Operating Systems: Windows/Mac"

If the intended use is producing low density "lost plastic" casting
patterns, then precision is not mandatory, ultra-strong inter-layer
adhesion is not required, smoothness of surface finish need only be
barely average, and peeling from the substrate might be reduced as the
honeycomb of thin filament builds less cooling stresses. (Guessing on
that last one.) And printing a lot of air has to be less glacial than a
solid print.

I still think I'll finish the hot-wire cutter I welded up a column for,
and try the "lost polystyrene" method. Quite complex patterns can be
fabricated from layers of sheet polystyrene, and an occasional drop of
PVA glue is all that's needed to hold it all together long enough to
prepare the sand mould.

Where the 3D printer would be in front is forming nice fillets, as in
the transition from a boss to its supporting surface, and inside a
pulley rim, going to the spokes. With foam fabrication, it may be
necessary to affix a square cross-section ring, then cut half of it away
with a little loop of hot wire as turning tool. That is, of course, an
excuse to build a low voltage control unit for the short length of
Nichrome wire, and more down my street than kicking a 3D printer which
is being finicky. (As well as slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow)

Erik