Hello all,

I am new to using git and github and have run into a problem. I apologise for
the length.

So first the back story.

I created a manpage for the hal_manualtoolchange userspace component and I
would like it added to the linuxcnc repo. These are the steps I took.

1) I forked the linuxcnc repository to my github account.
2) I cloned my copy of the repository to my local machine.
3) While in the master branch, I copied the manpage to
docs/man/man1/hal_manualtoolchange.1
4) In git, I added the file to the staging area.
5) I done a commit and signed it
6) I pushed the changes back to my repository on github.
7) I made a pull request to add my changes.

At this point, I went to the linuxcnc-devel channel on the IRC to make sure
that I done it correct. Chris Radek was very kind and helpful to me there. He
seen the changes and merged them. Now when I signed, I misread the docs and
obfuscated my email address. Chris, seeing this changed the email address so
that it was not obfuscated and also merged it with the 2.7 branch. Well, the
next thing I know, as whatever magic happens there, when I go to the website I
see the manpage in both the 2.7 docs and the 2.8-pre docs. I am happy and feel
like I accomplished something.

So I come back here to brag, and sebastian suggests that I am in error about a
portion of the document. So I want to fix it, so I do the following.

1) On my local machine, I create am upstream remote pointing to the main
linuxcnc repository
2) I pull the upstream to my computer

This is where it gets fuzzy.

3) I merge the upstream to my local master and get a message about a conflict.
4) I done a commit and was supposed to edit the file, but didn't and now it
shows both changes merged.

Rememeber Chris changed my email to be correctly formatted.

5) I committed and signed the pushed to my copy of the repo on github.

Then I made the following observations.

It updated the pull request, reflecting my new commit. When I look at the
changed files, you will see that I didn't make the edit and it shows the plus
lines and minus lines etc.

So I need to fix this, and need some advice. My thoughts are to do the
following.

1) run a git reset to the previous commit on my local machine, which is Chris'
merge to branch 2.7.

If I do this, then commit again, will I get the chance to edit the file?

What is the best way for me to handle this, so that everything in the pull
request is right.

Additionally, When Chris merged the file to branch 2.7, why is the pull request
still open?

I am sorry for all the blabber here, but it is kicking my arse a bit.

Joe