I was going to start working on putting a tool touch probe on a machine with a
Mesa 7i77 setup.
(I was just going to try a wire clipped to the tool and a touch plate for a
start.)
I pulled out the multi-meter and started poking around to try to figure out
what exactly I wanted to do and noticed something odd. I checked the V+ to
ground and it read 0v and V- showed -12v.
My field power is suppied by a simple 12v switching power supply (wall wart). I
don't see any obvious place where the 12v power is referenced to ground
(positive or negative.) Might this be normal? Would It cause a problem if I
tried to connect the V- to ground (such as short out the 12v power supply)? Is
this a symptom of another wiring problem somewhere (a short to ground hidden
somewhere.)
Which side should I use for the spindle/tool wire clamp the field power or the
input pin? (the spindle does show a little resistance to ground)
Should I put any resistors in line to help protect from short circuits?

Todd Zuercher
mailto:zuerc...@embarqmail.com