I have some Electrocraft drives that have 50 I/O to the controller.  So the
breakout board is rather large yet sparely populated.  I have bare 50 pin
connectors and some breakouts that have 14 and some that have 15 pins. If I
just have the analog command (2), enable (1), fault reset (1), I/O common
(1). I/O power (1), and the encoder passthrough (6), that only  leaves 2
pins on a 14 pin breakout.

 Looking at the possible outputs, there is a differential drive ready, and
a couple of other ones.  I am thinking that the ready is the only status
line I really need. Actually, the "ready" signal is a relay, so I could
hook one line directly to ground and the other through a pull down resistor
to I/0 power and free up a second signal on the 14 pin breakouts.

Anyone have any experience with this that would suggest adding another
status line?