On 05/09/17 02:41, Tim wrote:

> [...]
>                 en_US.UTF-8
> locale -a
>     #To check locale

> #Update Time Zone
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

> Remove emlid repository
>
> sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emlid.list

> sudo raspi-config
> #NOTE: do not Overclock
>                 1 Expand File system
>                   when finished choose to reboot
> If you need other things enabled such as SPI or C12 ect. it can be
> done here
>
> sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade

> # RPI 2 or 3
> sudo apt-get install -y mate-core mate-desktop-environment xorg lightdm
> sudo apt-get install -y network-manager-gnome synaptic iceweasel xterm
>
> # RPI 3
> sudo apt-get install -y pi-bluetooth
> sudo apt-get install -y bluetooth bluez blueman

> #Setup network manager
>
> sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
>             #Comment out
>                 #iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>                 #iface default inet dhcp
>                 #iface wlan1 inet dhcp
>                 #iface eth0 inet manual
> # Use control key and x to save and save to default

> #Update rpi firmware without over writing rt kernel
>
> sudo apt-get install rpi-update
> sudo SKIP_KERNEL=1 rpi-update
>
> sudo reboot -n

> #Install Linuxcnc
>
> On RPI goto web page
> http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
> Follow directions to install 2.7 or Master, Jessie (uspace: realtime
> with RT-Preempt, and simulation), armhf
> # first add repository key, open Mate Terminal look for it in system
> tools menu item, you can copy and paste from web site page:
>
> sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key E0EE663E
>
> # Start text editor Pluma with root privliges like this:
>
> sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list
>
> #Add the following to file for 2.7 then save:
>
> deb     http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie 2.7-sim
> deb-src http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie 2.7-sim
>
> # Now update the system:
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> # Now start Synaptic which will only start from terminal
>
> sudo synaptic
>
> # Type in search box linuxcnc find the following, then click and mark
> for installation then apply;
>
> linuxcnc-uspace
> linuxcnc-doc-en

> #To make image backup of sdcard on a linux computer I think this works
> on MAC also
>
> # First use Gparted to shrink second partition
>
> sudo fdisk -u -l   <----use to find where sdcard is mounted run
> without card, then with card
> sudo fdisk -u -l /dev/mmcblk0 <----name of sdcard in my computer yours
> maybe different
>
> sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=~/SDCardBackup.img count=9023487 <---- # =
> END of sectors on second partition, yours will be different
>
> # Remember to exspand file system with raspi-config when rewiting to a

Tim hello

I am trying to follow the instructions

i got the images and etcher and an orangepiplus2e ( not an rpi, sorry )

i know that the frank-durr.de kernel-4.4.9-rt17.tgz wont work ( opi vs rpi )

but i thought that i could boot the emlid raspian ( i have had armbian
on the opi+2e  already )

the instructions for the /boot and /lib dirs contained in
kernel-4.4.9-rt17.tgz are a bit confusing..

# Copy extracted files inside boot directory, to boot directory on
sdcard choose to overwrite files
# Copy extracted file lib, to root of other partition on sdcard choose
to overwrite files

the sd card at this point has 2 partitions, (correct?)

one called boot, other called (a very long hash name )

so i read the 1st line

# Copy extracted files inside boot directory, to boot directory on
sdcard choose to overwrite files

to mean:

copy the tgz's /boot dir  to the sd card partition /boot OR to the (long
hash) partition/boot?

since you said to 'overwrite' and one of the 2 choices was empty, it
must be (heh) the populated one

i had no success, nothing to see on the monitor besides a change from
black to grey

i swapped back to my armbian jessie 3.50 for opi+2e and all is working well

i just didnt follow your instructions due to not having rpi

i did not try a serial terminal  either

i might buy an rpi 3B and try,

i was surprised to see them on the shelf at a local electronics shop
here in chiangmai thailand

i will report back if i try the rpi3b

thanks

tomp tjtr33