On Wednesday 21 June 2017 22:37:28 Ralph Stirling wrote:

> The AQY280EH is optically isolated, but can only switch a low current
> load (130mA).  If you are switching a 60w bulb, you would need a
> several amp device to handle the in-rush current of a cold bulb.  I
> like to wire a "puck" type solid state relay (ssr) into an old metal
> outlet strip (that can be opened up, and that has room inside) or into
> a 4x4 metal junction box with a receptacle and cord.  A couple of
> small wires can be brought out for the low voltage control.
>
> If you need more detail, I can dig up some example ssr part numbers
> and sketch out the simple circuit for you.

I am using a similar circuit, 2 SSR's wide, to switch both sides of the
254 volt feed that powers the VFD and stepper supplies on this Sheldon
lathe.  These are the 40 amp versions because there is a considerable
inrush when powering up the supplies. mpja.com has several sizes of such
devices, all of which can be controlled by the 3 volt or more signal
from most any breakout board.

Because the inrush was so high on my mill, I had to soft start the
spindle motor supply else it would trip a 20 amp breaker starting it.
So the first stage starts with a 100 ohm 200 watt resistor to limit the
current, then about 4 seconds later, enables the 2nd SSR which connects
it directly.  The mill, working, draws about 3.5 amps.

Big SSR's are handy, so I keep at least 2 in the spare parts drawer.