On 07/03/2017 03:38 PM, tom-...@bgp.nu wrote:
My new-old Intel DN2800MT motherboard is a bit sluggish on my Emco.  I helped
it a bit by disabling Hyperthreading in the bios and setting ISOLCPUS=1 in
Grub.  But I have a vague recollection of needing to do something related to
the graphics driver for the board (board has crappy built-in intel graphics
driver IIRC).  The same board is running on two other systems I have and is not
as slow as this one.  My google incantations are apparently off today, I
haven't found any references to Debian and DN2800MT graphics or anything
helpful.

Some of the Intel graphics chips are not well-supported by Linux. The i810 chip is pretty legendary, and some of the later Intel chips suffered from the same problems. On a Dell desktop box, I gave up and added an nVidia card and it solved problems with rare but frustrating graphics crashes.

Don't look for the motherboard, look for the specific graphics chip, with lspci -v You may get more info that way. You can try using the default vga driver, and if it is too slow, then try some of the other drivers that can handle the chip.

Jon