Erik, I have also bearings with an outer ring of toroid surface (no edges), but never used them.
Peter

Am 16.07.2017 um 10:38 schrieb Erik Christiansen:
On 16.07.17 09:26, Peter Blodow wrote:
Gene,
learning from the experience from machining in our shop, I made my (own
private) steady rest with small ball bearings right from the beginning (and
also the moving rest which can be bolted to the carriage). They also cause
some minor traces on the workpieces, but these can be polished away.
Peter
Peter,
Maybe a brass tyre, loctited or shrunk onto the bearing, could alleviate
that. I've only used brass-tipped fingers on steady rests, and found
them quite good, with a bit of oil and modest speed.

Erik

---