On Monday 17 July 2017 06:55:13 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 17.07.17 10:48, andy pugh wrote:
> > On 17 July 2017 at 10:32, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net>
wrote:
> > > Me too, so I wasn't:
> > > https://au.pinterest.com/pin/421931058818147426/
> >
> > Pinterest only lets you see the top few results before demanding one
> > sign-up with them, but I could see enough to be led to
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0x90V1MEmc
> > Which is a very interesting variation on the theme.
>
> Ah, I didn't try following any, but around half way down the page
> there's another feline - with soft jaws. As it is used for
> gunsmithing, Gene might find the kindness to barrels of interest.
> (Maybe brass bolts would suffice?)
>
> Erik

I saw that, and the long pipe gripped in the chuck with the huge bearing
so it all turned. The bearing is nice but $$$$$$ and not needed if the
tube is turned truly round. That would allow, in combination with a
spider on the back of the spindle, the barrel to be aligned with the
bore regardless of how shitty the chuck or the barrels OD was. An 18"
piece of 3" schedule, turned so the steady shoes rode it, and enough
brass screws (12?) to lock the barrel w/o marking it up, seems to be the
ideal method. I believe I see a trip to the scrap yard over near Grafton
in my future.