Hi Lester,

I have two different displays for my Beagles. Three if you count the one
that I bought for the 3D printer Replicape but doesn't have good sensitivity
near the edges so it's pretty well useless.  As a result I'm not that fond
of touch screens.  Just too dangerous for any operations that could break
something.

If, and it's a big if, I were to do something with a Beagle, first I'd have
to work out how to use the PRUs for the spindle which apparently isn't
supported in MachineKit yet.  Not even 1PPR.  I think I'd look more along
the lines of the Shunatec 550 DRO which has extra capabilities (have two
here not used).

Perhaps via the SPI interface or serial interface from the Beagle it would
be possible to create the equivalent of a DRO with CNC capabilities.  The
DRO information is already there.  It just requires a screen interface that
present position information.  Perhaps some soft keys for non-realtime
selections like mm/inch, FCN, Tool #. Etc.
A matrix of hard keys and an MPG plus ESTOP has a hand held control.  So
it's only user interface that needs changing.

It could still pull in files and run G-Code.  But primarily to power feed an
axis from BEGIN to END at n ipm with depth of cut z.  The Begin End
locations are pairs of XYZ.  This is equivalent to jog X 0.1 or 1.0 or 10.0.
But that's just a jog from current position in direction XBEGIN to position
XEND.

I suspect if I want this I'll end up programming again.  (sigh)

John