Nicklas Karlsson writes:

> Yes. I do not like python and guess C++ execute faster so why not.
>

>>  From a developers perspective VCPs where completely outdated and not
>> even close to what modern UI toolkits offer. No developer really want's
>> to work with tk, we can argue about Gtk2.
>
> I worked with glade and it works rather well although some of widgets
> are a little bit limited.
Yeah, widgets technology is great for small desktop UIs. However, I also
seen big UIs where glade in general is bit of a pain.

The more modern Gtk3 UIs also HTML/JS I have heard.

>> QtQuickVcp comes with 2 reference UIs:
>> - Cetus: designed as axis replacement:
>> https://github.com/qtquickvcp/Cetus
>
> Look the same as now so I guess it should work great.
>
>> To simplify remote deployment of the UIs one can simply download and run
>> the "MachinekitClient" (yes, it's Machinekit only right now) and connect
>> to the machine instance.
>>
>> This way, it's extremely simple to circumvent the limitations of
>> embedded computers with weak graphics performance. Use a cheap 100$
>> tablet as your display and you are fine
>> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnJv07yeGt0)
>
> The way I am heading.
>
>> To support LinuxCNC would be quite simple. The machine/server part is
>> based on Machinetalk - an open source middleware.
>
> Linuxcnc use NML and I think the server part is in working order but have not
> had enough time to figure out how it is with the "axis" user interface, got
> more hardware today.
>
>> Basically, it would be a matter of "adapting" mkwrapper, mklauncher and
>> configserver (Python applications) over to LinuxCNC.
>
> ?
These are the names of the "server" applications in Machinekit.

To make it simple: It would be possible to add the Machinetalk support
as a separate package. No need to modify the LinuxCNC source code.

>> HAL Remote - which is useful for custom extensions would require more
>> effort, since it depends on the haltalk server - which goes deep into
>> Machinekit.
>
> haltalk, this is between which parrts.
Very well described here:
https://machinekoder.com/machinetalk-explained-part-4-hal-remote/