I know a number of you guys have Hardinge HNC and CHNC machines retrofitted with LinuxCNC.

I have a friend/customer local to me who needs a CNC lathe that can crank out aluminum parts 1.5" in diameter. There's a CHNC-I relatively local to us that is going pretty cheaply.

Can anybody tell me a few tidbits about the CHNC-I? Do 16C collets fit directly into the spindle, or need some kind of plate to fit them? It does have the air collet closer on the back of the spindle.

This one has the General Numerics control on it, so that dates it as one of the early ones. Is the spindle DC or AC? What is the likelyhood of the spindle drive still working? It is a 460 V machine, if the spindle is AC, can the motor be rewired for 240 V? (If it can, then coming up with a 240 V VFD would be totally simple. If DC, then a big DC servo drive could get expensive.)

I seem to remember these machines might have resolvers, but maybe that was just the VERY old HNC with the GE control.

I'm not familiar with the tooling required on the tool turret, what is it called and where would you get it from?

Thanks much for any info on this!

Jon