I thought I sent this a couple of days ago but it only went to Andy because I forgot this list does not set the Reply-to to the list address (annoying it is!)

The problem with Debian and wireless is that they don't include firmware for the wireless chipsets by default (non-free etc), so you have to install the firmware package for your chipset.

Here are a couple of sites with adapters that should work with about any linux distro, although debian may require firmware install for some of them. I haven't tried any of these myself! I did get a panda pau05 and it seems to work well in ubuntu 14.04, but I did not try in Debian.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux
https://zsecurity.org/product/mini-atheros-ar9271-2-4-ghz-usb-wifi-wireless-adapter/
https://zsecurity.org/product/atheros-ar9271-2-4-ghz-usb-wifi-wireless-adapter/