Yes, the Begal Board Black (BBB) has much lower general CPU performance
compared to the Raspberry Pibut MUCH better IO performance especially with
those on-chip PRUs.

But still if you have a garage to store the computer and AC mains available
for power why care about a few cubic inches and 20 watts of power?   Gene
suggested an Intel Atom based PC.  Those work.   But I find that one can
buy Dell server that has come off lease.   These can come in 1U size
chassis which is very compact.   Prices are very low and you get a full
computer with power, chassis and so on.  Smaller than a tower but still
typically space for a PCIe card.  Newegg.com is a reliable source, a top
their retailer but eBay might have lower prices.  I've seen a usable rack
mount server go for $100.

My main development PC is a used HP workstation, 12-core Xeon, 64GB RAM
Nvidia GPU for about $550.  The leasing companies have thousand of these
and they have to dump them into a market where world wide PC sales is
declining year to year.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> the PRU (programmable Realtime Unit) which is a 32-bit 200 MIPS
> microcontroller to do step generation.  The Machinekit fork of LinuxCNC
> supports this.  There is the CRAMPS board (disclaimer - I sell these) that
> puts 6 small stepper drivers and other I/O right on top of the Beagle Bone
> for a VERY compact system.  You can net into the Bone with either Ethernet
> or USB, or connect a keyboard and mouse via USB and a monitor via mini-HDMI.
>
> Jon

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California