On 21.05.18 22:19, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> The first "tap hat" is done, and has a 5mmx.8 tap mounted in it.

When the box of 10 different grubscrews arrived, it seemed like a good
idea to write the size and _pitch_ over each compartment, on the
transparent lid. That saves time later.

> But I've got to profile how far off center that 3" chuck mounted to my
> rotary table wobbles, so I can write a short thing to drill the 4 holes
> in the side that hold the grub screws, I must have been an hour and a
> half piddling with that and actually get the grub screws centered on the
> tap butt flats.

For the original tap hats, all I used to center on the cylindrical top
was the old 6" steel rule seesaw, with a pointy tip in the drill chuck.
When the seesaw's level, it's centered. (Certainly well enough to hold
the bum end of a tap already aligned in a close-fitting bore, I figure.)

> Only about 50 more to go. :(

ISTR that you've made them all out of a bar of ¾" brass, so the one
centering ought to do for the lot? With an A axis to spin the 90°, you
can drill 4, then tap 4, for ¼ of the tool changes.

Erik