On 05/26/2018 12:08 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
That motor can produce rated torque down to near zero
speed.  But, a belt reduction INCREASES torque as you lower
spindle speed.  In some cases like heavy fly cutting, face
mills, boring, and drilling with large diameter drills, you
need that extra torque.  When I put my Bridgeport in the
lowest speed range,
the torque is increased by a factor of 22!

Jon
That's true.  Since I was wanting to also go up to 6000 for small cutter
aluminium there's no reason to not keep the spindle pulled and a motor
pulley and do away with the intermediate pulley.  I haven't looked yet but
it's quite possible the spindle pulley has the internal splines for driving
the spindle.  Wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know what machine you have, but some machines have stock retrofit kits to replace the crummy Chinese drive scheme with something using high performance belts.

Jon