On 07/11/2018 02:52 PM, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
Hello Ed,

I plan to thread the bolts with rollers.

Axial or radial? Axial would be awkward if they are already headed.

  The main concern for me was if the
1045 steel can be cold forged for this purpose of making the head of the
bolts.

I would look for Youtube videos, there should be several videos on cold heading that would explain different materials and methods.

 I used to have one bookmarked that showed how you placed the blank in a guide, the rolls came in from the side, the blank rolled a few times, and the rolls retracted.  I use axial rollers which have the blank rotating and the rolls are fed onto the part.

Ed.