I think we should also be more clear on our nomenclature.  We have DC GROUND
which can be as simple as 3.3V or +5V and ground.  We can have 24V and 12V
relays and valves that also have a DC ground.  And we have Stepper/Servo motors
with high voltages from 24V to 300VDC.  The high voltage ground may or may not
be connected to the low voltage DC ground.   The symbol is normally a triangle
with the point downward and wire into the middle of the opposite horizontal
part of the triangle.

The AC side should more correctly be referred to as EARTH or if the word ground
is used EARTH GROUND.  That's the symbol with the tapering horizontal lines.

The metal case is CHASSIS GROUND and is often drawn as a horizontal line with 4
or 5 short lines coming off at an angle on the bottom while the connection
again is in the center of the horizontal line.

The CHASSIS GROUND should be connected to EARTH GROUND at only one location;
generally where power comes into the equipment.   So when we're talking about
bonding all our metal case bits together we're really talking about CHASSIS
GROUND.

https://www.clarionsafety.com/content/Featured_Articles/InCompliance-January-2012-Grounding-Symbols.pdf

John