On Wednesday 01 August 2018 11:51:31 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 07/31/2018 08:46 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > most were much lower resolution than the 23" Samsung
> > digital tv with a blown tuner I'm using now. Its main prob
> > is I need to open it up and replace some electrolytics in
> > the lamp psu, its a ccfl backlight and takes several
> > minutes to get to full, almost usable brightness.
>
> That's not the CCFL power supply, it is the LAMPS
> themselves.  The mercury has been sputtered into the glass,
> and there isn't enough left to warm up the discharge
> quickly.  No fix except lamp replacement or LED retrofit.
>
> Jon

I have fixed the next door neighbors huge 48" tv that was so dim it
wasn't usefull in the daytime by replaceing the 2 big, and badly bulged
top caps in the ccfl supply. The lamp was only blackend for about an
inch on each end, and replacing the caps restored the new brightness,
which probably increased the lamps temp and likely evaporated the
mercury again in an hour or so. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and I just
this spring saw it go out with the trash, the tuner had died.  And now
he is being tested for lung cancer, haveing been diagnosed for advanced
copd a year ago.  A good neighbor, its painfull to watch him fade even
faster than my wife. Who just interrupted my train of thought to request
a BLT, but it will be minus the L, I'm have scared to buy whats out
there anymore.

Thanks Jon.