Mark;
Way back when I was making the transition from Slackware to Red Hat I teamed up
with another local fellow on a little project.
He was much better with disciplined technique than I was. He kept a spiral
notebook for each PC and would copy down the entire line, file path and
date/time before doing any edit so that when he broke it he would have the
exact syntax to repair the damage.
I had learned that I needed to take notes, but he had it down to a fine science.
These written notes with LCNC I find to be a life saver when upgrading between
major versions, esp if skipping a version. (2.4 to 2.6)
RE Z axis lock - This function worked perfect on OKUMA OSP controls - likely
due to the use of absolute position encoders. When running a program with the Z
lock the machine would still execute tool changes and run the spindle & coolant
unless you had also engaged the STM lock.
The easy way of just setting your Z0 higher is not so easy for some machines
with less than 5 inches Z travel. Routers and knee mills with a Z quill come to
mind.