On Thursday 09 August 2018 20:30:19 Greg Bentzinger via Emc-users wrote:

> Has anyone played around with this: Pi-paraport
>
> https://github.com/garlick/pi-parport

I think on the pi-3b, spi is likely faster than a parport. Thats how I'm
running a Sheldon Lathe

> I had been wondering if a paraport emulator or an SSerial adapter
> could be made for the Pi GPIO

The parport emulator is available, but why tie up 90% of the gpio, when
it can be done faster with just 4 wires?

> The new question is can it be shoehorned into a realtime environment.

On the pi-3b? Absolutely.

> I was thinking a ODroid XU4 imaged with DietPi and building upwards
> from that foundation.

That might require the parport. rpspi.ko ONLY runs on a pi-3b. From the
rpspi.ko to a mesa 7i90 with 3 7i42TA's gives you more stuff and gpio's
than is needed, 72 pgio's total. I've got gpio using gingerbread in my
hal file and gui's and still have 15 or more gpio's unused. And the pi
is still loafing.