On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Quite simplified, covers the basics but makes little or no mention of the
> resolvers speed limits. So in both cases, the encoder is king, and much
> cheaper to implement.
>
> I only have resolvers because I got them used, so encoders aren't always
cheaper.  STMBL reads resolvers. I have some motors I considered converting
to encoders, but that doesn't make sense now.  But resolvers have certainly
fallen out of favor from their peak. I'm sure they aren't going away.

I have some motors with three phase resolvers, apparently used for
commutation and position.
Eric Keller
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania