Todd Zuercher wrote:
I don’t want to start a big Mach bashing.  I just want to hear some opinions
from those who have set up a simple CNC plasma machine with both Mach and
Linuxcnc.

I've had first hand experience with both. My son decided to buy a
turn-key mach3 system for his plasma cutter, so I set his computer up
with windows. It works right, most of the time. That is the catch. Mach3
will glitch, especially if you switch apps while it is running. That can
cause expensive booboos. The reason why is that Windows was never
intended to be used for real time applications. CNC is real time. So I
would recommend that anyone who wants to do CNC seriously only consider
Linux. The kernels for CNC are written to do what they have to do with
Linux.

I have been using my linuxCNC mill for pay work, never a 'glitch' from
the OS, even if I open editors, folder browsers, or anything else while
it is running. And, it is really not that big a deal to switch over to
linux from windows. Especially if you make the move with Mesa boards.

Best, Dan.