On 22 Oct 2018, at 23:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
>  what you probably want
> is:
>
> PROGRAM_PREFIX  = /home/marcus/linuxcnc/nc_files

Thanks, Gene.
I had already set the path in PROGRAM_PREFIX, but what I didn't notice is that
it is case sensitive - or at least that I had entered lower instead of upper
case. Just going too quickly, I guess.
Changing the case to CNC_files got it working fine.

I did as I guess most of us do, and edited the .ini file for that machine,
carefully defining the paths for the program files, the subroutines and the
user M-codes.
On revisiting this problem, I re-read the documentation and discovered (or
rather read more slowly) a couple of useful things I didn't know, so all of
this has been helpful.

>> The other real annoyance is that when I select the correct directory,
>> the window that opens is always too small.
>
> Yup, that default is always too small, but I expect its a recompile to
> fix it. Minor annoyance. The horizontal slider needs to be replaced with
> a vertical that responds to the mouse wheel. That would make loading a
> new program bunches faster.

OK; so this one is not something I can control. I will see if I can request
this for the development cycle, as it is irritating. A window that
automatically opens, say, 3/4 the size of the existing monitor size would be
ideal, I think. Associating the mouse wheel with the slider is a good idea.

Marcus