(Greg)
Erik,
A trend I have been noticing in the DIY solar crowd is to salvage the batteries
from wrecked Tesla or Mercedes Hybrids.
The Batteries are series wired for output in the 400VDC range but can be
rewired in parallel for a 50-60VDC output.
Just need to be sure the charge controller has a custom or Li-po setting.
I hope to rig up a 6Kw bank here at the ranch so it can handle the Inrush
starting demands of my deep well pump.
If I can off load the spare refrigerator, freezer chest and well pump that will
be about half my domestic electric cost. With luck I can eventually get the
whole house on solar + wind power.

The shop will always have to be on the grid, the big CNC's have 26Kw or higher
startup loads. If the house is off grid then my electric bill will be a 100%
business expense.
(/Greg)