On Sunday 21 April 2019 12:11:11 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> > > I used the Machinist toolbox to figure out what sort of speed and
> > > feed I
> >
> > needed but ended up running the mill faster (thought I'd read it
> > should be 3000 but it was supposed to be 2000).  Typo error.
> >
> > > OK. So tool bit 0.09375.  Two flutes.  HSS. Chip load 0.00551.
> > > Aluminium
> >
> > bar. SFM set at 40 which called for 2000 RPM and about 22 ipm
> >
> > That sounds slow at the spindle, I have been running at 8500 rpm and
> > a 2.5mm cutter in tool steel.
> >
> > FSWizard on my phone is suggesting 589 fpm (180 m/min) surface
> > speed, 24,000 rpm and 15 in/min (388mm/min) for your <2.5mm cutter.
> > (So 10x the spindle speed but lower feedrate)
> >
> > I suspect that Gene has the opposite problem, I am suspecting his
> > feed rate was too low if the swarf comes off as dust. (but he didn't
> > specify feed rate)
>
> My mill has a top speed of 2950 so keeping the chip load per tooth
> the same meant I had to keep tweaking the FPM until the recommended
> RPM dropped down to what my mill could do with a 2 flute HSS 3/32"
> cutter.  That also gave me the feed rate of about 22 ipm.
>
> I guess it's like using a file on aluminium.  You can move the file
> quickly or slowly across the work.  Quickly removes more material but
> if it heats up it also gums up the file.  If it's done slowly with
> some WD-40 it doesn't gum up the file.
>
> BTW https://www.machinist-toolbox.com/ came included as part of my
> AlibreCAM license.  A google on FSWizad yields this:
> https://fswizard.com/
>

> John

And I note, pricing to match, yet I doubt bobcad is paying the bills with
that product.  I guess thats why I keep a whole zoo full of ti30x and
ti36x calculators around. Then all I have to do is find the formula.
lol. I've been tempted to get one of ti's modern programmables, but the
calculators suplied with linux can do all that, except the programming
bit.  Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough. TANSTAAFL.