Hello
reinstalling with ext3 'fixes' it

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        debian 9 ext4 wont mount on debian 7
Date:   Sun, 28 Apr 2019 23:24:58 +0700
From:   TJoseph Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com>
To:     emc-users <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

Hello
I just installed http://www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64-r13.iso
I reformatted a partition as ext4 to hold this installation.
 Then I made a screenshot of latency-histogram
and rebooted to my workhorse debian 7 to compare latencies.
I found I could not mount the debian 9 ext4 partition from the debian 7 system. Then I read that theres changes in the ext4 fs that cause this. ( its a known problem ). Then I 'fixed' the problem by booting the debian 9 and issuing sudo tune2fs -O ^metadata_csum /dev/sda1 ( sda1 for my installation ymv )

////
That did not really work.
I ended up wiping the install , reinstalling with ext3
now debian 7, debian 8, debian 9 and ubuntu 16 can all read and write each others' partitions.
////

 please warn others on the install pages that formatting a partition as ext4 will be problematic when accessed by older debians.

////
it's not a linuxcnc problem
the problem is debian 9 has a different ext4 than earlier debians
the bad suggestion to use ext4 is inside the debian installer.
////

 thanks TomP