On Thursday 01 August 2019 20:51:56 Gene Heskett wrote:

> If you can see why I'm only seeing a 90 degree arc in the backplot,
> teach me what is wrong.

Wrong K. Its running, but very very slowly. About .5 ipm  And from the
looks of the carbide tool I'm using for electrode, its going away faster
than the steel is.  So from the looks of it, I've gone up the hill to
the shop building and picked my container of busted carbide to use for
electrodes before I done.

And of course Murphy was watching carefully. My EDM psu died, transformer
I think but its never been hot!  So I rounded up a 200 watt or so
toroid, and the only other paper in a can capacitor I had, but cheap
tests everything gismo says its ESR is somewhere in the 30 ohms range,
downright sucky, and about 13 u-f.  So now I have a 70 volt open circuit
supply and it seems to be making a decent fire. But the carbide is going
away faster than that steel. I'm down .034" but the chord of the burn is
just barely a quarter inch long.

At this point, I'm wondering if its worth it to stop, and see if I can
use the THC module as a feed override, letting it run likity s--t until
the average voltage is below 60, indicating the fire has started, in
which case cut the feed override to about 5% while its burning, but run
it at 25 ipm when its not.  That would cut the runtime quite a bit.

Ideas, as in has anyone done this?

Thanks Andy, all.

 - Louis D. Brandeis