The problem is that I have two surplus Lenovo PCs that are more than adequate
for LinuxCNC.  One for a spare.  But they have only two slots which are low
profile to boot.
If I want to go drop $100 (Cdn) I can get newer Lenovos that have 4 full height
slots and faster processors.  But they don't come with hard drives since they
are government surplus.

But for this initial project the goal was to have a WIN-XP (might have to be
WIN-7 since the built in network interface is too new for WIN-XP)  and MACH3
and then write up a nice step by step guide on how to move from MACH3 to
LinuxCNC while keeping the one or two parallel port cables that go to the sy
stem BoB.   I know lots of people running MACH3 that at the moment are quite
happy.  I know only one person running Linux.  And one of the WIN-XP/MACH3
people detests Microsoft and Windows and only recently bought a WIN-10 laptop
so he could access Fusion-360.

But MACH3 with the wizards and graphical interface for setup is just so much
easier.  Even with an USB or Ethernet Smooth Stepper.

But I'm determined to not quit (I've come close).

John