On 9/21/19 8:30 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
Hi Andy,

Very cool.  Thanks for the info.  Any particular brand or do you just buy bulk
from China?

endmill for most of the cuts. We just can't push the 1/8" ones very
hard. Higher quality endmills might help too, but each year we have new
students and numerous broken endmils :) That comes with the territory.
It's not only students who break 1/8" end mills...
John

John,

We have used HQ Master in the past. They seemed OK.

I just ordered these from China. I wanted a short flute length for cutting aluminum sheet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-%C3%98-3-175mm-1-8-inch-cut-8MM-single-1-Flute-Carbide-End-Mill-carving-acrylic/283456877174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Most of the time 1/8" is the smallest we need. Order some 2mm just in case. These get stashed away so the students don't inadvertently cut the part the wrong size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQMaster-CNC-Router-Bits-1-8-Inch-Shank-10-Pack-End-Mill-Spiral-Router-Bit/401831743859?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Got these for thicker material. Mainly acrylic and HDPE sheet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQMaster-1-8-3-175mm-Shank-Dia-Single-Edged-1-Flute-End-Mill-CNC-Cutter-Spiral/401849120071?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I've been the killer of many a end mill. I've kicked myself as I watch a brand new end mill plunge at too high a feed rate and shatter. Name a mistake and I've probably made it. The only time I get frustrated with the students is when they brake one (or more) and don't tell a mentor about it. We loose the chance to talk through the mistake.

The end mill are a not that expensive. That is, until its just before a competition and you run out!

Andy

Andy