On 10/09/2019 08:49 AM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering converting a machine currently running Wincnc over to Linuxcnc.
The Wincnc control has a pci card with two 37pin connectors, that are connected
to a proprietary breakout board. (40 GPIO-in, 20GPIO-out+6step/dir pairs, and 1
analog-out)
Most of the IO on those connectors are simply TTL 5v, except for 3 pins that
are used for the analog output of a digital pot.

This machine has 7 joints, (one slaved) and 6 axis.  The Wincnc control is
limited to only 6 axis of control, so the slaved axis is just sharing the pulse
signal, with a Rube Goldberg design of relays for squaring the gantry when
homing the machine.

The joints are Kollmorgen S200-VT-S servos, currently commanded in position
mode with quadrature pulses.
Then there are 4 VFDs controlled by some of the GPIO and the analog output.

For GPIO there are 18 digital inputs used, and 10 digital outs.

I don't want to reuse the existing strategy for controlling and homing the
slaved axis, I want to do it right, so I will need 7 sets of quad commands (or
analog if I go that route, but that would mean a lot more rewiring to add
encoder feedback.)
What is probably my best Mesa card options?
At this point I am leaning toward a
7i76E + 7i78
Anyone see a better option?

Well, it would also be possible to use two units of the Pico Systems universal stepper controller to get up to 8 channels of quadrature position command. You would have 30 uncommitted digital inputs and 14 digital outputs (plus drive enable). This could leave some digital inputs and encoder channels for spindle encoder, MPG and a jog pendant. There is a spindle DAC option to have one analog +/- 10 V output for spindle speed command. Do you need DIFFERENT speeds on the 4 VFDs?

It would also be possible to use the Pico PPMC board set with a few extra cards to get the required inputs and outputs, if you decide to go the analog route.

Jon