I understand what you are trying to do, John, and it doesn't work quite like
the Windows world that Mach 3/ Mach 4 live in.

In the interests of not reinventing the wheel Path Pilot is available from
Tormach for ~ $25, here:

https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=38249

This software runs on Linux.  It expects to find itself on a particular
hardware platform and will not work if it does not.  That isn't necessarily a
disaster because there are ways around it:

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/pathpilot

As you will see, this is a work in process and depends on people helping people
to get it working.  If you can get it working on your hardware, you will only
have to do this ONCE.  This seems like something the a typical Windows user
might find a *little* more palatable than constantly working off a command line
"1970's approach" :-) I haven't done this yet myself because I enjoy the things
the Linux can do that Windows cannot and I really like what Linuxcnc can do vs
Mach 3.

I guess before anybody looks at spending $25 and possibly a lot of time and
maybe frustration getting Path Pilot working, you ought to take a look and see
if it does what you want?  Here's a very limited start, a far from exhaustive
list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixjxNq9Cnpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd7IzOGtFKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puZednzlsY0