I am setting up a new machine to replace the 2.8 install that I am
currently using.  The machine that I am currently running is on its
way out.  I have a 2.7 install using the live cd install in downloads.
Install was done no network because the installer didn;t like the
network dongle.  I have since dug through my pile of cards and found a
wifi card that the machine is happy with.  2.7 launches as expected
and the machine has been updated to current Deb 9.

uname gives Linux localhost 4.9.0-8-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian
4.9.110-3+deb9u6 (2018-10-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am trying to use the instructions on the LinuxCNC buildbot page
http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ in hopes that I can find a 2.8 in there.
I read that Master is now on 2.9 and I would prefer to be a little
more on the stable side and use the configs from the old 2.8 machine.

I installed the dependency fail for the sudo apt-key adv --keyserver
hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E step.  When I try to
install the key I get:
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.RJo9NWtHgB/gpg.1.sh --keyserver
hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663
gpg: "EF1B07FEE0EE663" not a key ID: skipping

and there is no /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list created.

I created the file and added the 2.7 entries and edited them to 2.8.
That got me an install of the 2.8 docs but nothing else.

I don't remember what incantations I did to install 2.8 on the old
machine.  I think it was just pointing at repositories and using
apt-get.

Any hints please?

Dave