the fact you sell a vast amount of products, build by others, is not an excuse for

lack of quality of what you sell.

BUT ...  not everything that technically/specs wise should work, will.

Technically an SATA drive, with a  USB<-->SATA converter would work

BUT for a example a laptop SATA/spindle drive would be so demanding on a PI board, it would "deprive"

the board of power  causing issues, even crash.  An SSD might just be borderline acceptable. 2-3W spikes

on a PI is A LOT.

Also, most stuff nowadays is built in China anyway, even high quality components. The application is what

one needs to take into consideration

Ron

(Oh btw   just to make sure,  I am not Chinese..  or affiliated etc etc...)