On 24.01.20 20:27, Alan Condit wrote:
> Chris,
>
> If I send 10000 steps to a smart X-axis controller, how does it stay in sync
> with a smart
> y-axis controller without someone controlling the synchronization between the
> two?

One way could be for the host to pulse the x and y step pins in
synchronism at a suitable multiple of the steps needed for the longer
run. If we need a slope of 0.16666666667, then tell one smart controller
to divide by 1, the other by 6.

Even pi can be approximated to 1 part in ten million by 355/113, so a
bit of smarts in the host could keep the axis controllers simple yet
flexible, I figure.

Motion commands could be sent on RS485 serial, before the primary step
sequence begins.

Erik
(Who hasn't read the whole thread, unfortunately. There's a 1 foot
diameter branch down in the front garden, and it needs to go before its
ute-load of eucalyptus leaves dries to a pyromaniac's dream.)