Yes.
Option 3 looks interesting.
If someone submitted that page to a magazine as an article on how to use MB2HAL
do you think an editor would publish it as is?

Whether it be Elektor Magazine, Circuit Cellar Magazine, Nuts and Volts,
Everyday Practical Electronics, Home Shop Machiist, Model Engineer's Workshop,
etc.  the format leaves way too much to be learned in other places.

The page doesn't stand alone.  So it's a great reference for those who already
know how to do it.  Not so much for someone who doesn't.  And once one knows
how to do it, it's hard to take a step backwards to when they didn't.

For example from that document.
#Using HAL_MODULE_NAME=mb2hal or nothing (default): loadusr -W mb2hal
config=config_file.ini

Is the loadusr command entered in the HAL file, the INI file or entered on the
command line.  Should LinuxCNC be running if it's entered on the command line?

If the example config file named mb2hal.ini?  I see loadrt commands in the .hal
file for my parallel port implementation.  I don't see any load files of type
ini.

In my parallel port hal file I have the line.
# -- Modbus support --
#loadrt classicladder_rt numPhysInputs=15 numPhysOutputs=15 numS32in=10
numS32out=10 numFloatIn=10 numFloatOut=10

Now what?

The display on the RHS of the AXIS screen in that page I referenced I believe
is created with the XML file.  That's missing too.

See what I mean.  Way more questions than answers.

John