On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:43 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 February 2020 12:51:26 Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> > When designing something new one must be VERY careful not to be one of
> > Henry Ford's customers.    In an interview, someone asked Henry Ford
> > (Who was famous for saying "You can have the Model T in any color you
> > like, so long as you like black.")    Mr. Ford said that if he had
> > listened to his customers that would have told him all they wanted was
> > a faster horse.
>
> Don't forget Younger women and More money ;-)
> [...]
> > Back to CNC.   Step back and people just want to make parts, not
> > fiddle with 100 details of how the CNC machine works.  That is setting
> > the bar really high.
>
> But in a one man shop in a pond full of frogs, I have to either know all
> that, or pester you kind folks for pointers from the real experts.  And
> I appreciate the brain pool this list is, a lot.

No.  You should not need to know anything.  The fact that you do need to is
a sign that the technology is immature.    Back when cars were a new and
immature technology drivers had to know what a "spark advance" was and also
understand the effect of the mixture controls and how to use a clutch and
shift gears.      In 20 years a small child will be able to operate a car
by sitting in the back seat and saying "Take me the gramma's house"

All tech works that way.   At first, it is usable by experts then it gets
easy.   Hobby level CNC has a LONG way to go before it gets easy.

As I pointed out before a good example to follow is "cleanflight".     It
lets anyone with minimal tech background configure the software inside a
multi-copter drone and download it onto the chip.    They do not need to
even know the system uses an RTOS.  http://cleanflight.com   It is all open
source and is easy to use

There is no good technical reason a CNC machine can't connect to a normal
desktop computer or phone over WiFi and "just work".

> > I've done this for other projects at work.   The first step is to fly
> > out to where your users live and watch them work.  See what they do
> > and how they spend their time.  The low-hanging fruit are tasks that
> > take a lot of time but not much brainpower.   User productivity goes
> > up when you automate those tasks.
>
> This is one of the things I have done several times as a tv engineer,
> look the operation over and see where the big time sink is, and fix it,
> often with a very low powered computer because it still works faster
> than a human. But it can replace that human and his reaction times by
> something many times more consistent with any human that can push a few
> labeled buttons.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California