On 26/02/2020 19:07, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2020, Ed W wrote:

   MAX_VELOCITY = 100.0
   MAX_ACCELERATION = 750.0
   # The values below should be 25% larger than MAX_VELOCITY and
   MAX_ACCELERATION
   # If using BACKLASH compensation STEPGEN_MAXACCEL should be 100% larger.
   STEPGEN_MAXVEL = 125.00
   STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 937.50
   P = 1000.0
..
Ed W

You can use the built in position mode control loop in the driver (without PID) but you can get better performance by using PID and velocity mode, especially with regard to host servo thread jitter. This is why PNCCONF uses thsi control mode even for open loop step motor systems.

Thanks everyone who responded.

Can I ask about the need for the STEPGEN_MAXVEL and _MAXACCEL. The man pages suggest that if these can (should?) be omitted and would then be infinite or something sensible (the manual is unclear)?

Actually, I think I might have that mixed up? I think what is suggested is that there is no need to duplicate the MAX_VELOCITY in both the AXIS_n and JOIN_n sections?

It's really only a cleanup, but any comments on whether all of these values need to be there and duplicated, etc? Which get pulled automatically?

Thanks

Ed W