On 05/08/2020 01:34 PM, Dan Henderson wrote:
There are times when letting the smoke escape becomes part of the learning
process :)

Thanks for your guidance Gene. Would think the DC motor energy would be
absorbed by the act of tapping once the M3 is turned off? Surely the G33.1
cycle doesn't flip from 500 CW to 500 CCW does it?
Without filtering, it does exactly that. But, you can put a lowpass filter or a limit component in there
to slow down the reversal.
  I'm going to want to
initiate that cycle with a slow spindle to begin with and I'm not sure how
built-in speed ramp controlled by the MC-2100 will handle this. A hacked in
pause between M3 and M4 may be order, huh?

But, the G33.1 doesn't allow you that control. It just goes from forward to reverse in one servo cycle when it determines the programmed depth has been reached. So, that's why you need a filter
in the spindle command if you want a softer reversal.

(By the way, I do the 4-40 rigid tapping on my machine at 1000 RPM. The reversal takes about
a half second.)

Jon