On Tuesday 19 May 2020 15:44:51 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Hi Gene,
> Since I'm running DC Servos I wanted the ability to clamp the back emf
> from a decelerating motor.  I built a small circuit that sensed both
> high voltage and AC power.   It puts a resistor across the DC rail to
> pull it down and the resistor is connected with both a relay and a FET
> in parallel.
>
> When power vanishes the relay is de-energized and the 105VDC power
> supply is quickly drained through the NC connection on the relay.  The
> FET does the same but at high speeds to avoid that over voltage
> condition.
>
> Since the little PIC processor senses AC voltage it can also run a
> relay on a second small board that switches across an inrush resistor.
>  The advantage over a high power thermistor is no heat and you can
> cycle power without worrying about the inrush thermistor still being
> way too hot and therefore too low a resistance.
>
> Schematics attached.

Both would seem to be more complex than a few lines of hal code I can
easily write. The only time energy recovery is/is not a problem is
during a full song reverse, where the full 4 quadrant pwm-servo runs my
126 volt supply up to about 170 volts by the time it has bought that big
motor to a full stop, which is well above the 65V x 2 of the filter
caps, but its used up respinning the motor in the other direction in
another 200ms, so cap heating from the caps leakage is not a problem.
Essentially the same condition exists for TLM's reversal since It also
uses Jon's pwm-servo, but there the caps are rated at 150 working, 175
surge, and the surge is of such short duration its a never mind.  With a
5" chuck for inertia to reverse, its obviously longer, around a second,
but I don't tap at more than 200 revs anyway. More revs=more overshoot,
hard to guess so I don't.

 - Louis D. Brandeis