On Sunday 24 May 2020 17:41:33 John Dammeyer wrote:

> The
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples/spindle.html#_spindle_feedback
> document lists this example code with a footnote on the use of
> encoder.3
>
> "In this example, we will assume that some encoders have already been
> issued to axes/joints 0, 1, and 2. So the next encoder available for
> us to attach to the spindle would be number 3. Your situation may
> differ. "
>
> The document isn't clear to me on this.  If I do not have encoders
> issued for axes/joints 0,1,2 then can the spindle use encoer.0?  Or
> are those numbers reserved for the existing axis anyway?  Which I
> guess doesn't make sense because then there would also have to be
> encoders for axis a,b & c and the spindle would start at 6.  I've
> probably answered my own question.
>
> But if the spindle encoder is declared in the hal file first, as
> encoder.0, does that make x,y & z then encoder.1, encoder.2 and
> encoder.3?

You can AFIAK, use them in any order in the hal file.
Same with steppers, or pwm-gen's, the hal file can assign them in any
order.

Mesa may demand no missing numbers to work correctly, but I doubt it.

> Or by default if encoders are used with x,y &z are they then by
> default 0,1 & 2?  And even if declared in the hal file in a different
> order must be allocated as 0, 1 & 2?

"Default use order" is generally up to the coder writing the hal file.
Totally arbitrary order IOW.

> Enquiring minds need to know.
> Thanks
> John
>

> # add the encoder to HAL and attach it to threads.
> loadrt encoder num_chan=1
> addf encoder.update-counters base-thread
> addf encoder.capture-position servo-thread
>
> # set the HAL encoder to 100 pulses per revolution.
> setp encoder.3.position-scale 100
>
> # set the HAL encoder to non-quadrature simple counting using A only.
> setp encoder.3.counter-mode true
>
> # connect the HAL encoder outputs to LinuxCNC.
> net spindle-position encoder.3.position => motion.spindle-revs
> net spindle-velocity encoder.3.velocity => motion.spindle-speed-in
> net spindle-index-enable encoder.3.index-enable <=>
> motion.spindle-index-enable
>
> # connect the HAL encoder inputs to the real encoder.
> net spindle-phase-a encoder.3.phase-A <= parport.0.pin-10-in
> net spindle-phase-b encoder.3.phase-B
> net spindle-index encoder.3.phase-Z <= parport.0.pin-11-in

 - Louis D. Brandeis