On 05/27/2020 12:18 PM, Curtis Dutton wrote:
So after finishing the retrofit of the old Miyano gang lathe the spindle
bearings are shot. You can grab the spindle nose and push it side to side
about .0005" to .001". The cut quality is also fairly bad. Just cutting a
spring pass on an aluminum bar shows a lot of chatter like marks.

I can also measure a .0005" to .001"  axial play by pushing on the face or
the collet closer of the spindle. Not to mention there is roughness and
fairly loud bearing noise while running.

I expected this but I'm looking for someone that can refurbish it or any
advice from others that have done this before. I haven't ever sent anything
out to be rebuilt so I'm ignorant on the process.
One online quote I received was 4500 to 6500. Is that reasonable? Does
anyone know of someone or have pointers? I'm not opposed to trying to do it
myself but I know it would be very challenging to get it right. I'm sure
I'd need to order 2 sets of bearings... One for the first attempt and one
to get it right!

Well, it may not be that tricky. It is probably just a pair of angular contact precision ball bearings, and may have some type of spacer to get the preload right. Do you have any drawings of the headstock? That might give some idea of how the spindle is assembled.

Jon