On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Thaddeus Waldner <thadw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OpenSCAD will not even open an STL. So it loses in this competition.

It does not matter if OpenSCAD can open an STL.

Do NOT download STL models from the suppliers.   They are nearly useless.
Get the STEP files or whatever other format you CAN import.   You are going
to have to modify any gear model unless you are very lucky and you really
can not modify an STL.   Then after moding the gear save it as STL.   You
slicer can only use STL.

I posted a picture of what is on my printer right now.  Usually, you almost
never want a standard part.  Usually, gears are used to drive some other
parts and make them move.   If you have a printer you can make the
grear and the driven part at the same time and it is much better then using
fasteners like setscrews.  A simple example is below.  It is just a pulley
with some places where bearing can be pressed in and some threaded M5 holes
to hold another part. (This will take 6 hours on my printer.)

Let's say you are making that BS1 drive.    I bet something like this is
needed.  There would need to be bearing and a pulley so you'd want the
pulley to have recesses for the thrust bearing and mayybe a way to attach
the handwheel so you could stil use the BS1 manually.   Then you think "Why
attach a hand wheel when I can print it already attached?    The part below
is used to rotate a ball nut and transfer the load to a deep groove sealed
bearing.

[image: pulleyUpperFlange.jpg]

--

Chris Albertson