On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 2:38 PM Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
I shot an iPhone video of the first test with all three axes assembled.

https://youtu.be/wupYP2NNsXI

That looks a bit like my X-2 hack (although mine isn't a real X-2, it is the same machine.)
See http://pico-systems.com/minimill.html   for some photos.

I found one big problem was the Y axis handle assembly did not have a ball bearing, but just a bronze sleeve and the handle jam nuts would slowly tighten up until the axis bound up. The X has a pair of ball bearings with the handle nuts preloading them. So, I cut the Y axis handle bracket to work the same way.
You can just barely see it in one of the pictures.

I used to use this machine for demos at shows, but there haven't been too many shows lately. I also put a spindle encoder on it first, as it was a lot easier to do than on a Bridgeport.

Jon