Greetings all;

I thought I'd try and get rid of the backlash, about a degree in this
BS-1 today, so the first thing I did was inspect the grease on the worm.
Good, and clean.

putting a flat washer on the locking cap screw so the adjusting collar
might stay put as its tightened, I found the friction to turn the worm
rose to the lockup point before the backlash dissappeared.  That tells
me the OD of the worm is touching the bottoms of the gully's in the bull
gear, or vise-versa while there is still some clearance between the
teeth flanks.

Should I go ahead and motorize it, then use the motor to break it in, or
should I pull the worm and polish the tooth tops in the middle of it to
remove a couple thou? Or should I really diss the thing and remove a
couple thou from the tops of the bull gear? Or both?

It being new, I have no wear pattern to show me which of the 2 points
needs additional clearance to allow the flanks to fit closer.

How would you folks do this?  Or is this thing a $700 sows ear?

Thanks everybody.

 - Louis D. Brandeis