I'm getting to the point where I need my own camshaft grinder.

The question I have is the G-code. The grinder has 2 basic components, a
rotary operation to turn the cam and a linear movement to move the grinding
head. For simplistic sake, say the G-code is 360 deg with the corresponding X
travel.  Say we start with a blank round cam. In each revolution of the cam,
the grinding wheel has to step in an amount till it gets to final size.

This can be done with and If and Else statement.

I was looking at some of the Chinese CNC controllers which are cheap and stand
alone and as this is a simple job, would be a good option but I have not been
able to find one that has logic in the G-Code.

I don't think feedback is required and step and direction would be fine for
this project. It would need constant recalibration as the wheel wears. My
question is, what would be a suitable bit of hardware to run LinuxCNC. Is the
PI up to this as yet ?

Thanks Wallace.